how to set up Craigslist alerts using IFTTT
I’m not a constant Craigslist peruser like some. It’s hard to find good stuff, and if I’m constantly looking, I’m constantly thinking I need something new.
Craigslist alerts take out the time of searching so often. We’ve used Craigslist alerts for a lot of things… For a long time, we just had them set up for Anthropologie, Crate & Barrel and IKEA stuff. We got a super cute fruit basket and really nice TV stand by doing that.
Lately, we’ve been using them for kiddo stuff. After I found a pair of Tiny Toms on Craigslist, Dan set up an alert for more Toms. (No hits on that one yet.) As I mentioned, we set up alerts for the baby products I had decided on, and we’ve already had really good luck. We use IFTTT (If This, Then That) for our alerts. It looks really snazzy, and it’s been easy to use.
- Make an account on IFTTT.
- Create a recipe by clicking “my recipes” then “create a recipe.”
- Choose a trigger channel by clicking on Craigslist.
- Click “new post from search.”
- Go to your city’s Craigslist in a separate tab, and do the search for what you want. (Example: Ergo performance)
- Copy + paste the URL from your Craigslist search back into IFTTT and “create trigger.”
- Choose an action channel. We do SMS (so we can jump on those deals quickly!). Email or even calls could be good options for this, too.
- Activate the channel.
- Choose the action again.
- Edit how you want the message/call/etc. to appear when you receive an alert.
- Describe/name your recipe.
IFTTT can obviously do even more than this, though this is all I use it for right now. Let me know if you have any questions when creating your recipes! Have fun!